Asphalt pavements are typically less expensive to construct than similar concrete pavements. However, that does not mean you want to repeat the process prematurely. Furthermore, while asphalt repairs are normally economical, you probably have better uses for your money. If you want to realize the best return on your pavement investment, you should add sealcoating to your maintenance plan.
Why Is Sealcoating So Important?
Asphalt sealcoating is exceptionally effective at preventing damage to your pavement from various sources. For example, Dallas pavements are exposed to high levels of ultraviolet radiation, and UV rays make asphalt dry and brittle. This makes it easier for normal traffic to cause serious cracks to develop. Dallas asphalt sealcoating blocks these UV rays, potentially saving you a substantial amount of money on your pavement repairs. When you sealcoat parking lot pavements, you are also helping to prevent damage from vehicle fluids. Petroleum-based automotive fluids can turn the asphalt beneath them into a soft pile of crumbs.
How Often Does an Asphalt Pavement Need Sealcoating?
Sealcoating contractors evaluate each client’s situation before recommending a schedule. They consider the age and condition of the pavement as well as the amount and type of traffic it bears. On average, however, about every two years is the most common interval to sealcoat parking lots. Your sealcoating company could recommend a different schedule, though. Furthermore, if your pavement is new, you should not sealcoat it for two or three months following its installation. Your paving contractor can tell you precisely how long you should wait.
What Else Should I Know About Dallas Asphalt Sealcoating?
Asphalt sealcoating is surprisingly inexpensive, but it is also highly effective at protecting and beautifying your pavement. Here are a few other things that you should know.
1. Sealcoating contractors repair pavement cracks before applying the sealant. Therefore, some people think that they should schedule their repairs and seal coating at the same time. This can be a serious mistake. You need to repair cracks or other breaks quickly to prevent water infiltration that can destroy the pavement’s foundation.
2. You want to hire a reliable, experienced contractor to sealcoat your pavement. Reputable contractors will not take shortcuts that can leave your pavement without proper protection.
3. A high-quality sealcoat can return your pavement to its original dark color. It can also prevent the sun from fading the color of asphalt pavements.
4. Contractors must repaint pavement markings and stripes when they sealcoat parking lots. Sealants obscure the existing lines and stencils, rendering them useless. If possible, try to schedule your asphalt sealcoating and parking lot striping at the same time.
5. If you have an asphalt overlay, it should receive the same care and attention as a new pavement. This includes repairing any cracks that might develop, keeping it clean, and applying a sealcoat periodically.
HI-TEK Paving is a well-respected paving company with clients throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Whether you need asphalt sealcoating, concrete work, parking lot striping, asphalt crack repairs, parking lot maintenance, asphalt resurfacing, or asphalt paving, we can help. We have an exemplary reputation for integrity, reliability, craftsmanship, and customer service. Request a free quote today by calling 214-908-9641, completing the online form, or emailing Info@Hi-TekPavingDallas.com.