When you invest in an asset, you naturally want to obtain a suitable return on the money you spent. To achieve this goal, you need to maintain, repair, and eventually rehabilitate the asset. For example, if you own a vehicle, you need to take it in for regular oil changes and other maintenance procedures. If a problem develops, you will need to have it repaired. If you keep the vehicle long enough, you may want to reupholster the seats or repaint the exterior. The basic concepts can also be applied to your parking lot. Parking lot maintenance helps you prevent problems, parking lot repairs keep your pavement usable and safe, and parking lot rehabilitation helps you extend the life of your pavement.
What Parking Lot Maintenance Procedures Do I Need?
The first step is to ask a parking lot paving contractor or a paving maintenance contractor to evaluate the current condition of your pavement. If there are significant cracks, potholes, or drainage issues, go ahead and have a paving contractor in Dallas make the necessary repairs. Going forward, your paving maintenance plan should include the following procedures.
1. Sealcoating: Sealcoating is an economical procedure that serves multiple functions. It helps prevent the development of cracks by blocking harmful UV rays, and it helps prevent premature deterioration caused by automotive fluids. Sealcoating also helps prevent color fading, and it can restore the color to pavements that have already been bleached out by the sun. Furthermore, sealcoating enhances traction, conceals minor surface flaws, and reduces sun glare. You should budget for sealcoating during a new pavement’s first year, followed by a fresh application every two years.
2. Crack Sealing or Filling: Crack filling and crack sealing are the two primary methods that a paving contractor in Dallas will use to fix most asphalt cracks. There are some slight differences between the two methods, and different cracks may require a specific method. Crack repairs are considered asphalt maintenance rather than asphalt repairs. If your budget will permit, you should schedule crack repairs every autumn and every spring. Otherwise, plan to repair cracks annually.
3. Striping: Professional line striping and pavement markings can help you control the flow of traffic in your parking, meet legal requirements, and enhance your curb appeal. Parking lot paint usually lasts about two years in the Dallas area. Since this is also the typical interval for sealcoating, and since sealcoating obscures existing pavement markings, you might want to schedule both procedures at the same time.
What Parking Lot Repairs Should I Include in My Budget?
Parking lot repairs can be a bit challenging to budget for because they almost always require immediate action. If you are having difficulty budgeting for repairs, you might want to ask your parking lot paving company for assistance. Potholes are the most common repair requested, followed by alligator cracking. This category also includes repairs for pavement distress, including raveling, rutting, or polishing.
Is Rehabilitation Considered a Parking Lot Maintenance Procedure?
Asphalt resurfacing is a rehabilitation procedure that involves the removal of up to three inches of the existing pavement before installing fresh paving asphalt. Therefore, some contractors consider it paving maintenance, while others classify it as a paving project. Here are some things you should know about asphalt pavement rehabilitation.
1. When properly completed, asphalt resurfacing can provide a pavement that is virtually indistinguishable from a reconstructed pavement. However, the cost will be much less.
2. To be cost-effective, the existing pavement needs to have a foundation that is relatively undamaged. Typically, if more than 30% of the foundation needs to be repaired, a removal and replacement may be more cost-effective.
3. Timely repairs and proper maintenance can increase the chances that resurfacing will be a viable option for your parking lot. Most foundation damage is caused by water that has entered through open cracks and potholes. The water erodes the base layers, and it can inflict even more damage when it remains trapped and freezes.
4. After resurfacing, the overlay should receive the same care as a new asphalt pavement. This includes sealcoating and crack repairs.
5. If the original pavement and the overlay receive proper maintenance and timely repairs, the pavement can be rehabilitated many times.
6. On average, a typical parking lot in the Dallas area will need to be resurfaced about every 12 years.
If you need assistance to plan and budget for your parking lot maintenance, contact HI-TEK Paving Services. We offer an extensive range of services, including asphalt overlays, parking lot striping, asphalt repair, concrete installation and repair, asphalt sealcoating, asphalt crack repair, asphalt paving, and parking lot maintenance programs. We are known for our honesty, craftsmanship, customer service, and professionalism. If you are interested in receiving a free quote, contact us by submitting the online form, calling 214-908-9641, or emailing Info@HI-TEKPavingDallas.com.