What Is the Asphalt Paving Life Expectancy?
You do not need to spend much time driving around Dallas to find numerous asphalt paving crews building, repairing, or resurfacing pavements. Asphalt is an economical paving material that can last a very long time if it receives the proper attention. However, the life expectancy of any specific pavement will depend on the care it receives, the type of traffic it supports, and the volume of traffic it receives. Therefore, assuming that all pavements receive professional maintenance and timely repairs throughout their lives, home driveways normally have the longest lives, followed by residential streets, parking lots, and busy highways.
What Is the Asphalt Paving Life Expectancy for Home Driveways?
A properly constructed, well-maintained home driveway should last between 20 and 25 years before it requires resurfacing or replacement. It is not uncommon for some driveways to last for more than 30 years. If you want your asphalt driveway to have a long, healthy life, the following tips can help.
1. Do not place heavier loads on your driveway than your paving contractor designed it to support. In other words, if you told your asphalt paving Dallas contractor that you would only park passenger vehicles on your driveway, do not park your 40-foot RV or your company’s dump truck on it.
2. Direct your downspouts so that they do not discharge water directly onto your driveway, and adjust your sprinklers to avoid watering your pavement.
3. If vehicles leak oil, gas, or other fluids on your driveway, remove the spills as soon as possible.
4. Paving maintenance contractors recommend sealcoating driveways to help prevent damage from vehicle fluids, water infiltration, and UV rays. Ask your asphalt paving Dallas contractor to recommend the proper interval between sealcoat applications.
What Is the Asphalt Paving Dallas Residential Street Life Expectancy?
On average, residential streets in Dallas that only receive local traffic have a life expectancy of around 20 years. To maximize the life of city streets, cracks and potholes should be repaired as soon as they form.
What Is the Asphalt Paving Life Expectancy for Parking Lots?
Commercial paving contractors typically estimate a life of around 25 years for parking lots that support only an average number of passenger vehicles. Lots that support passenger vehicles as well as trucks, buses, and RVs usually have a life expectancy of between 15 and 20 years. Critical paving maintenance procedures for parking lots include sealcoating, routine cleanings, and timely crack repairs.
How Long Do Asphalt Highways Last?
Typically, any paving contractor Dallas customers should trust will base the estimated life expectancy on the type of highway. Interstates usually have a life of around 10 years because they support a higher volume of traffic overall and a higher percentage of heavy vehicles than a typical parking lot or residential street. State, federal, and county highways that are not part of the interstate system normally last about 15 years.
1. Interstates and highways can be ideal candidates for asphalt overlays. Overlays are faster to install than a new pavement, and the cost is substantially less.
2. Timely repairs are critical to help ensure that water infiltration does not erode the base layers. The base needs to be relatively stable for asphalt overlays to be cost-effective.
3. Deicing chemicals should be used sparingly, and a reputable paving contractor should be consulted for assistance in selecting deicing agents that are safe for asphalt pavements.
HI-TEK Paving Services is a Dallas asphalt contractor, and we would be happy to answer any questions you might have about residential and commercial paving. We offer asphalt overlays and paving, concrete installation, asphalt repair, parking lot striping, asphalt crack repair, sealcoating, concrete repair, and parking lot maintenance programs. We have earned an exemplary reputation for craftsmanship, dependability, and customer service by delivering consistent, professional results on jobs of all sizes. Contact us today for a free quote by submitting the online request form, calling 214-908-9641, or emailing Kevin@HI-TEKPaving.com.